Cozy Reading

Friday, January 23, 2015

Fall and Winter are my favorite seasons without a doubt. I love the festivities, the weather, the clothes, the overall feeling you get during these times of the year. One of the best things about it too is the fact that there's just so many opportunities for some good old cozy reading. 

Now I will pretty much read anything no matter what the season, but when it's gloomy and chilly (especially if it's raining!), I tend to gravitate toward certain novels.


I particularly enjoy reading classic books. Any Jane Austen should do the trick for me. It's even better if the book has a Gothic-like atmosphere. Books like Jane Eyre, The Picture of Dorian Gray, Rebecca are perfectjust to name a few. I also tend to choose books set in gloomy locations. Some examples would be a book set during the early nineteenth century in Iceland, or in a manor in the French countryside during the Victorian era. I love The Thirteenth Tale, Burial Rites, even Mrs. Dalloway. 

There's just something about that atmosphere and that life that I find especially perfect to read during cozy days and nights. Maybe it's the language they used back then, or perhaps it's because of the way people used to speak so eloquently. It's also maybe because of the simple lifestyle these characters in these stories lead, compared to the modern lives we have today. Whatever the reason may be, for me, it's my preferred choices for sure. 

I know everyone has their own preferred choices to read in order to call it cozy reading, so my question today is, what are some of your options? Are you like me and prefer classic books? Or do you crave for something else entirely? Let me know! 

15 comments:

  1. I love classics in the winter too, as well as big chunky epics and fantasy.
    Have you read The Historian or Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell? If you liked The Thirteenth Tale, I think you would like them as well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read The Historian and loved that!! Not Jonathan Strange though, I may have to look into that. Thank you!

      Delete
  2. I'm more into reading whatever is new and exciting at the moment. I'm not a big fan of classics, but lately I'm trying to read more outside my box and have been picking up some emotional reads. They are definitely better read in the comfort of my cozy living room, in front of the fireplace! I love fall and winter, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also love reading new and exciting, it is always so fun getting to share opinions since they're so widely read!

      Delete
  3. Love Rebecca for cosy days, so perfect! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too funny, I am the same way! When it's cold and dreary outside I love gothic mysteries (Rebecca is a perfect example). I also tend towards big fat Victorian classics like Dickens. I love rereading during that season as well because you already know you are going to love what you dive into. The rest of the year I'll read anything, but winter is for our "cozy" reads.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In winter I definitely enjoy a more classic style of book, or at least one that makes you think. It is not time for chicklit that's for sure. But I would probably read anything as long as I was cuddled in a cozy blanket drinking a nice herbal tea. That is reading heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love cozy reading! There is nothing better than getting under my snuggie and curling up with a good book and my cat. And something about winter makes me want to read High Fantasy. I think it's the atmosphere and adventure. Plus they're the kind of books I can escape into!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People made fun of snuggies, but I actually find them incredibly useful!! High fantasy is great, I think they're perfect to escape to for sure.

      Delete
  7. I like your thinking! I always think I'm going to have a fire and some tea and read, but I never do, I mean NEVER. Even with this big storm coming, I don't think I'll read that much, and I checked my lanterns for batteries and downloaded 3 new books to my IPad. I seem to read more in the summer, laying in the sun or floating on my sister's boat. Who cares, I guess, as long ascwecke reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's interesting that some readers are dependent on seasons! I read all year round, but I love the cold weather for sure. Although, reading on the beach does sound lovely.

      Delete
  8. I tend to read a lot of fantasy novels during the winter months. I love being whisked away from freezing cold Michigan for a few hours. Plus, fantasy novels tend to be lengthy, which is perfect for long winter nights. Plus, who wants to go outside when it's always below freezing?

    ReplyDelete