The Only Time I Would Recommend a Book I Haven't Even Read

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

When I recommend a book, it is likely because I have read it and loved it. Never have I felt the need to recommend a title in which I haven't even actually read it yet. However, I had to make an exception for this one. Because... LOOK!


S is written by J.J. Abrams (Star Trek, Lost, future Star Wars) and Doug Dourst. It is a book that contains another fictional novel written by a famous fictional author. Two readers (strangers to each other nonetheless)  begin to read it separately and write messages to each other talking about it. The book contains their notes, their comments, photocopies of their research, etc.

I first heard of the book's concept on someone's youtube channel (which I will try to find) a while ago. Then, I heard of it on an interview with J.J. Abrams on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart. I had to have it simply of how unique it sounded, and it intrigued me to no end. I went on a hunt for this one, and though I know I could have easily bought it off Amazon, I made it almost like a challenge for myself to find a copy. I almost gave up one day when I went to a used bookstore near me and when I was about to pay for my purchases, I saw it just staring right at me in the front! It looked so lovely on that stand; it was new and still covered by plastic. I went and got it. As soon as I got to my car, I opened it and took photos. 





I have never been this excited to start reading a book in a while. It sounds like even if I end up not liking the story itself, I think I would still admire and appreciate how incredibly creative this work of art is. Sounds like it would be an awesome reading experience either way.

Have you read it? What do you think of this unique idea? Definitely puts book design to a whole other level. I think it's neat, and I can't wait to dig into it!

8 comments:

  1. I can see how some would get excited but it looks like a history lesson, great for a class discussion, doesn't peak my attention.

    Hope you enjoy the experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, it's definitely an unique idea! So cool. I wouldn't mind having a closer look at it myself one day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh. My. Gosh. This looks incredible!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. +JMJ+

    What a treat for the eyes! Reading plain print is no chore, of course, but something like this takes it to a whole new level. =D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I can honestly say I have never read a book like this before! Not even close. I know I would appreciate it as a work of art, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I've heard about this one!! It looks so cool!! I used to love the Griffin & Sabine books by Nick Bantock because it had all these letters and postcards to go through, and this is like that, times 100!!

    ReplyDelete