Series of Books I Don't Plan On Finishing

Monday, March 17, 2014

I always give books a try, especially if it's highly recommended and well-loved by so many readers. If it's a series, then I will at least read the first book. However, there are times when the first book doesn't cut it for me, and I have to give it up. For me, there's just too many other good books to spend time on.

Just a disclaimer though: just because I don't like a book in particular doesn't mean YOU wouldn't. These are obviously my opinions only. 
These are some of the book series that I don't think I will ever try to finish. 

1. Divergent trilogy by Veronica Roth
I know! Everybody adores this trilogy, and everyone is so excited for the movie adaptation coming up; I even loved the first book. It entertained me, and I liked the idea of the five factions. I do feel like I got tired of the whole dystopian sub-genre because of this book though, only because it just felt a bit repetitive to me. I am curious as to how the series ends, but I don't think I'll read them all to find out. 

2. Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls trilogy) by Maggie Stiefvater
I actually gave this book a 2 star rating when I reviewed it. I still feel the same; I felt as if it was overhyped, and everyone gushed about it, and I was left underwhelmed by the overall plot line. I also tend to dislike books that have characters that instantly fall in love with each other, even though they nothing about each other. I just don't like it when the stereotypical macho male protagonist shows off his amazing looks and the female character is all, "I don't care if you are a stranger, you can go to my house and we can be lovers forever." Maybe it's just me.

3. The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare
For me to love a fantasy, I need to believe in the story itself, its settings, and its characters. I have to be fully immersed in the universe the author created. Unfortunately for me, I didn't feel like I believed this book at all. To be honest, this was also one of the very rare times I did NOT finish a book. I was bored by it, and couldn't continue on. 

4. Matched trilogy by Ally Condie
This was another alright read. It was fun to read, but again, I don't care much about the characters. 

5. Beautiful Creatures (The Caster Chronicles) by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl
I enjoyed this one. I really did. But this is the perfect example of a book that entertained me, but dragged on a bit for me. I don't know if I'm that curious to know what happens next in the story. 

What do you think? Do you think I am completely crazy to give up on these crowd favorites? How about you, are there any series that you can't finish for whatever reason? I'd love to hear all about them! 


13 comments:

  1. I finished the Divergent series earlier this year and honestly I wish I had only stuck with book one. I'm hesitant to see the movie now. That's how awful I thought the third book was.

    The only other series I've read here is the Mortal Instruments. I am caught up on the series, but my enthusiasm for it is dying. It isn't that believable and each book leaves me feeling disappointed.

    I did see the Beautiful Creatures movie, but I don't want to get into another series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know the third book was bad, sorry you disliked it! I also did see the Beautiful Creatures movie and thought it was a pretty fun story.

      Delete
  2. I have been wanting to read Beautiful Creatures but its hard for me to commit to a series books. but it does seem like there are so many new good books coming out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard awesome stuff about that series, but yeah, there are so many other books I want to read first.

      Delete
  3. Well, I have to agree about the Shiver books. Wasn't a fan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, to each his own I guess since so many people love it.

      Delete
  4. hi! Just like you I did not like Divergent and tho I tried reading Insurgent it only confirmed how I felt about the whole thing. I just couldn't get myself to be involved in the storyline. It wasn't compelling enough for me :-( Have you read the Legend series? Maybe you can give it a try - I love this series! :-) - nanette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nanette, I did try the Legend series and enjoyed the main character very much. I didn't continue with that series either, but I think it was just because of pure laziness! :P Thank you for stopping by the blog.

      Delete
  5. I'm with you on some of these! I read Shiver and liked it, thought book two was just ok, and then never got around to book 3 and probably won't. Same with Beautiful Creatures---like first two, got bored in book three and quit. And Matched...wasn't a big enough fan of book 1 to bother with any of the others.
    I like this post! Glad I'm not the only one who has a tendency to give up on series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel bad sometimes when I give up on a book, but I just feel like there's so many others that probably deserve my attention more! :P

      Delete
  6. Ohh, awesome list :D I did love the Divergent trilogy. But I was very, very disappointed with the third and final one :\ A bit.. boring, to be honest. Sigh. And ahh. The Caster books.. I remember giving the first three books about 5 stars each. Though if I re-read them, I would not love them as much :\ Sigh. But anyway. Thing is, I don't think I will read the fourth one. Just don't feel like it, lol. Anyway. Amazing list :D Thank you for sharing. <3 :) There are so many series that I have given up on. I can't name them all. But one. Delirium. I LOVED book one. Then I heard about the stupid love triangle shit in book two and three. Meaning I will never ever read those. Sigh. So sad. Same with Shatter Me. So pissed off about that :\ Especially since I really loved the first one. Gah. Anyway. Enough about me (A) Thank you for sharing. <3
    Thank you so much for commenting on my blog. <3
    Love, Carina @ Carina's Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been hearing that the final book in the Divergent trilogy wasn't very good. I've also read Delirium and enjoyed that, but haven't gotten around to continuing the series. Thanks for visiting.,

      Delete
  7. 1. I agree. 2. Maggie Stiefvater baffles me. She has such great premises that never seem to turn out as well as I expect. 3. I don't know. 4. I agree. 5. I agree.

    ReplyDelete