currently reading + intriguing introductions!

Friday, February 15, 2013

This book, World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War, is what I'm currently reading right now.
A lot of people have been giving this book 5 star ratings, and since it's going to be a movie, starring Brad Pitt, I thought I should go ahead and read it too, since I am planning to watch it when it comes out. The trailer looks really cool, and the book's synopsis made me want to dig in. And while I haven't even really started reading yet, I want to go ahead and point out how incredibly intriguing this 'introduction' is! 


 It goes by many names: "The Crisis," "The Dark Years," "The Walking Plague," as well as newer and more hip titles such as "World War Z" or "Z War One."I personally dislike this last moniker as it implies an inevitable "Z War Two." For me, it will always be "The Zombie War," and while many may protest the scientific accuracy of the word zombie, they will be hard pressed to discover a more globally accepted term for the creatures that almost caused our extinction. Zombie remains a devastating word, unrivaled in its power to conjure up so many memories or emotions, and it is these memories, and emotions, that are the subject of this book.
This record of the greatest conflict in human history owes its genesis to a much smaller, much more personal conflict between me and the chairperson of the United Nation's Postwar Commission Report.

If that doesn't make you want to read more, I don't know what will! 

Are there any books in particular that you remember grabbed you right from the beginning? And also, out of curiosity, what are you all reading this week? 
Happy Friday!

5 comments:

  1. I've heard AMAZING things about World War Z - definitely one I'd like to finally read in 2013! Speaking of zombies and gripping beginnings, I've had much the same experience with Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion, which has ALSO just hit the big screen:

    "I am dead, but it's not so bad. I've learned to live with it. I'm sorry I can't properly introduce myself, but I don't have a name any more. Hardly any of us do. We lose them like car keys, forget them like anniversaries. Mine might have started with an 'R', but that's all I have now."

    So far it's brilliant - funny, irreverant, kind of tongue-in-cheek, a bit gruesome, just how I like my books! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thanks for sharing that, haha. I actually haven't read that book, but that intro sure is interesting like you said. I was very tempted actually to buy Warm Bodies when I saw it, but the whole movie tie in cover turned me off. (Maybe that's a good thing, as it saved me money haha)

      Delete
  2. Sounds good. Lately, all I read are things that snatch me up from the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've become quite the fickle girl. Audios I give a bit. But books have to be compelling to me from the first page.

      Delete
    2. I have not even tried an audiobook before! I should probably give it a go one time.

      Delete