Recommendation of the Week: The Forgotten Garden

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Genre: General Fiction
When I Read It: 2009

Initial impression: What a beautiful cover! It was what initially attracted me to this novel. It felt a bit like Jane Austen-like, so I was sold. I also was very intrigued with its complex synopsis on the back cover.

Why I Loved It: It's a lovely story, to put it simply. The characters, plot line, and their development were flawless. And the overall feel of the writing was just great; it seemed like such a rich and classic tale - very reminiscent of The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett. It did also have the same Gothic-like aspects from Jane Eyre, which I especially enjoyed as well.

Who would most likely like/love it: Any reader who enjoys a good story that seems to follow some aspects from the Classics and fairy tale re-tellings.

If you've read this book, let me know what you thought of it.
For my official review for this book, click here.

9 comments:

  1. I loved The Forgotten Garden, too, and totally recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book! And you're right about the Jane Eyre-esque feel to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh I remember reading this, wasn't really my cup of tea. Great cover though :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. At first I was like: "why are there reviews of this book?" lol. It seems great, though I have no idea what it talks about! Anyway, I'd be tempted to buy it just for its cover!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pepca - Glad to know you feel the same way!

    May - And I love Jane Eyre so that was a great plus.

    Aly - Aw, sorry you didn't like it!

    Touloulou - The cover IS lovely, isn't it? Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I SO need to read this. I think you've recommended to me before.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love retellings & have heard so many great things about this author. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Juju - Yes! I think you will like it. It has a vintage era feel to it too! ;)

    Christie - I am actually on a huge fairy re-telling kick right now - I am reading so many of them! But I really loved The Forgotten Garden. I have read Kate Morton's other books but unfortunately didn't really like it as much.

    ReplyDelete