blogging tips: things I personally learned

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Today's topic for Armchair BEA - Blogging about Blogging.

Over the 17 months that I have been blogging here, I have had my fair share of different experiences; thankfully, most of them have been amazing but I can't deny that there have been a few mistakes and failures here and there. The good thing is that I have learned tons from book blogging itself - from reading books, reviewing them, and interacting with other book bloggers. Here are a couple of tips that I think are crucial to blogging.

1. Interaction!! It is so very important to reply back to your commenters, and post comments on other blogs as well. There's nothing worse than being an unapproachable book blogger - someone that never replies or interact with other bloggers. It's just not nice, to put it simply. And I know, it's hard to keep up with comments. I have this problem too, believe me! But I've realized that one of the best things about blogging is really the interaction with other readers and book lovers. And trust me, it pays off in the end. For both parties. You not only gain consistent 'followers' and comments, but sometimes, you gain blogger friends too.

2. Do what you want with your blog! Don't be afraid to experiment. Don't be scared to venture out in other genres. Don't be nervous about trying out a different layout or a different theme - Just be careful with changing URLs. Make sure you know how to do it 100% ;) - All I'm saying is, this is your blog. Your domain. Your place. Your true followers will continue to be your readers even with all the changes.

3. Don't let others tell you that you can't do something. Now it is extremely important to listen to others' suggestions, opinions, and constructive criticisms. I have improved my blog a lot through others' help, but what I'm trying to say here is - don't let others limit what you want to do. There will be people criticizing you for the sole reason of putting you down; saying that it's wrong to write personal posts, or post non book related topics. People will constantly nitpick at these kinds of things. Just say no. Like I said on my second tip, this is your blog! As long as you're not hurting, offending, or being destructive to anyone, and it's to ultimately benefit your blog, you can do whatever you want!

4. It's okay to take breaks. Blogging is supposed to be fun. For me, it's a form of stress-relief. So there's nothing worse than getting stressed out over blogging! It is not fun and so not convenient! You don't need additional worries and stress - so really, don't worry about it too much. If you want to take a brief hiatus, go ahead. You would probably even gain a new and better perspective on blogging when you come back.

5. Work hard, but have fun. Total cliche, but this is probably what you need to learn first before anything else. Blogging does take a huge amount of time and a lot of effort. Posting good content is not always easy! So if you want to have a 'good' blog, you do have to work hard. But while doing this, you have to remember - this is not supposed to be a "job." This is supposed to be fun. Really, when you start having fun posting, and interacting with others, it's when the blogging experience is at its best.

--

If you have any blogging advice or tips, let me know as a comment. I would love to hear from you!

12 comments:

  1. Excellent and positive advice!

    To blog well you need to know: your topic, your audience and your voice. Come learn more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this posting.

    Some great advice there.
    I have found using Twitter and fb to spread the word about my blog postings a good idea, too.

    Enjoy your weekend,

    carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is some good advice. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post and nice tips - I can relate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think keeping up with comments is one of the most important things. I'm not good enough at it, but I do try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I especially appreciate your first and second points. I'm sometimes late responding to comments, but I think of them as important interaction. You wouldn't ignore what someone said to your face, so why would you ignore it when they take the time to type it out. I suppose that's why I don't follow a zillion blogs and why I'm glad my followers list is fairly compact :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your advice. It's hard not to get carried away and feel like you have to read every blog or write the perfect content. I've found that I'm happiest when I'm writing about books/subjects I love, not trying to provide everyone else with what they might want to read.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great advice! I agree that it's important to remember it's your blog and do with it what you will, without fear. I think a change of scenery on a blog can be a good thing once in a while, and new genres can spice things up. Also, I think taking breaks is something people fear because they're worried about letting down their followers. I think it's great that you suggest it's okay because you're right, blogging is supposed to be fun!

    Dropping in via Armchair BEA and following. Your blog is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The interaction between bloggers is definitely the reason I continue blogging-but it is also an area where I really need to improve. Thanks for your thoughts--your blog shows a lot of tender loving care!

    ReplyDelete
  10. pussreboots - Those are great areas/topics to explore!

    Dizzy C, Pepca, anachronist - Thanks for reading!

    Alison - I think it's a given that we have a difficult time with doing this, but the best thing we can do, like you said, is to try!

    Birdie - I don't follow as many blogs as others do, but it's still hard to keep up sometimes. But you have a very good point - you wouldn't ignore someone if they spoke to you face to face, so why ignore online? Exactly my thoughts.

    Melissa - I should follow my own advice too since I have a hard time keeping up with other blogs as well :) And I agree, I read what I like to read and review what I like to review. If a blog reader happens to get something from it, it's just a huge blogging perk!

    Kristyn - Thank you! Oh and I say that because there have been times when I myself would be too hard on myself and guilt trip myself for not doing posts more often. But I realized doing too many too soon sometimes take the fun out of it! So I like to take it easy at times.

    bibliophiliac - It's an area I also need to be consistent in. But like I said, it is hard sometimes. The best we can do is try! And thank you for the compliment.

    ReplyDelete
  11. GREAT advice. Especially the part about taking breaks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Juju - I used to be mad at myself for taking breaks but I found they were crucial!

    ReplyDelete