keeping reviews fresh.

Sunday, March 20, 2011

A year of blogging seems nothing compared to the years and many months of some of my favorite book bloggers out there, but already, sometimes I feel like my reviews can be quite repetitive even when I'm not trying to make it so. There are some days when I feel like writing 1-5 reviews, but then there are the days when I feel like I have nothing to say at all - regardless of my feelings and thoughts on a book. Sometimes it seems like there's only so much I can say; it's a great book, it was intriguing, it was interesting, I loved the character, liked the development, it was okay, it was awesome, great writing, fast-paced, and the list goes on and on. I just really try to mix it up so as to not sound like every review is the same one.

Thankfully, I don't always have a problem with this; most of the time I always find a way to express my thoughts on a story without having to repeat the same words and phrases, but I wonder how you do it. I usually just take a break and hope the temporary writer's/blogger's block goes away. Any thoughts?

6 comments:

  1. I know the feeling :) That's why sometimes my reviews are tiny and sometimes they are long. It all depends on how the book moved me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean. Maybe try changing your review format a bit? I've seen bloggers list fav characters and what they liked and disliked about the plot. Some bloggers read the book with another blogger, then they interview each other with questions regarding the book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely understand. Sometimes there are only so many words to describe a book, and there are times when nothing or too much comes to mind to write about. Maybe bring something to discuss or ponder to the table, say if something bothered you about the book or there was something strange, unique, out of sight that you want to bring up, just throw it out there & have us chime on it. Saves your brain from overloading :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you take notes while reading? This is why I love my kindle, I am able to highlight and note take immediately without feeling like I have stopped reading. This helps with the review for me.

    Also, I read one book at a time and review immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe dig a little deeper into the writing. When you start pulling more from the book than what's just on the surface, you'll end up having more to talk about. Or just elaborate more. You like the plot. Why? Was there anything that didn't work? Sometimes just rambling on works as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Juju - Exactly. Sometimes I really just have nothing to say and other times I feel like writing an essay. Haha.

    naida - I try to change the format every now and then depending on the book as well. The idea of an interview sounds awesome though!

    Teacher/Learner - Yes. Good advice. Thank you!

    Marce - I try to take notes but sometimes when I'm really into a book I just can't seem to put it down and write about it haha. And that is a great e-book perk that I didn't know about!

    Donna - Yes I usually do that, but sometimes I just get a little bit of writer's/blogger's block. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete