Book Recommendation of the Week

Thursday, October 7, 2010

This is a regular feature here on the blog where I will basically recommend ONE specific book that I have read, and loved. It could be something I recently just read, or a one from five years ago. Doesn't matter when; if I feel as if a lot of people might like it as much as I do, then I'll recommend it! This week.. I recommend..

The Maze Runner by James Dashner
Genre: Young Adult - dystopian
When I Read It: 2010
Synopsis: Thomas wakes up in a strange lift, without any recollection whatsoever All her remembers is his first name. But he's not alone. When the lift's doors open, he finds himself surrounded by kids who welcome him to the Glade, a large expanse enclosed by stone walls. Just like Thomas, the Gladers don’t know why or how they got to the Glade. All they know is that every morning, for as long as they could remember, the stone doors to the maze that surrounds them have opened. Every night, they’ve closed tight. Every thirty days a new boy is delivered in the lift. And no one wants to be stuck in the maze after dark. Everything should be running normal, but then a girl arrives in the lift -- the first girl ever to arrive in the Glade. And more surprising yet is the message she delivers. With this occasion, the Gladers realize that it’s looking more and more as if the maze is unsolvable. And something about the girl’s arrival is starting to make Thomas feel different. Something is telling him that he just might have some answers—if he can only find a way to retrieve the dark secrets locked within his own mind.

Recommended if: you like the dystopian subgenre and if you're looking for something original and exciting to read.

Why I Loved It: My official review for this book can be found here.

6 comments:

  1. Ooo I've been wanting to read this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jillian, excellent recommendation! I'm writing my review of MR now :) And hey, the sequel comes out in a few days - YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Juju - It's really great, hope you get to read it!

    Amelia - I know! I am sooo excited. I might even go to the author's book tour when he goes to San Francisco.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jillian this used to be on my Wishlist but as you may remember, I have decided dystopian genre is not for me.

    Emjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read this after seeing your review a few weeks ago and definitely think it's a worthy read :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great recommendation! I've been thinking about reading this one for a while. :)

    ReplyDelete