Why I don't like Twilight

Sunday, January 10, 2010

First of all, please do not get me wrong. I have nothing against vampires. Or werewolves. Or klutzy teenage girls. Also, I have read several messages saying I'm just one of those haters. I am not just hating. I have read ALL four books with high hopes, wanting it to be as good as everyone says. And so I do, in fact, have basis for this. If you do not agree with my opinions, that's completely fine. After all, we're all entitled to our own :)

Second, I will assume that if you are reading this, it is either you have read the book or at least have heard of this so-called “phenomenon.” If you haven't, I can tell you that Twilight is basically about a teenage girl who falls in love with a vampire.

When I first read the book, before I heard there was going to be a movie, I had high expectations and was quite excited because I have heard good things about it from reviews and from friends. So I read it.

To be fair, let's start with the good points. I enjoyed it because it was fast-paced and, I have to admit is addictive. I couldn’t put it down, unfortunately.

Now to the bad ones.

It's not even so much about what the books are about, and who the characters are. My main annoyance is that this series is just getting so much undeserved hype and praise! They call this a phenomenon, but in truth it is nothing close to being extraordinary or outstanding. Stephenie Meyer’s writing is immature, repetitive, cliche, and in a sense, almost amateurish even though she is not. I know that she graduated from college with an English degree, but I am just being honest. And why does she always have to have some sort of a comment about Edward’s “hotness?” We get it, he’s hot. Stop saying it again and again.

Some say that the reason why the writing is like that is because it is a Young Adult book and is obviously targeted towards teenagers. I have to disagree! I don’t think that just because teenagers are the ones who are reading, mean the writing needs to be dumbed down.

Though there are a FEW good points, they are most definitely not enough to get all these credit. I wrote a review of Breaking Dawn and I already said how I felt about that. That must have been one of the worst written books I have read by far.

Now I will leave you with a quote from Stephen King in a 2008 interview that he gave to USA Weekend. I do have to say that King is known not only for his novels but for how generous he is to other authors, helping them to better with their work. And for him to give this comment about Twilight, well…..

When asked about how his work may have influenced both Meyer and J.K. Rowling, King said the following: “Both Rowling and Meyer, they’re speaking directly to young people. … The real difference is that Jo Rowling is a terrific writer and Stephenie Meyer can’t write worth a darn. She’s not very good.”

Now that says a lot.

The quote can be found here.


No comments:

Post a Comment