Julie and Julia

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Based on a true events, this is about the story of Julie Powell, trying to restore her life, her marriage, career, and ambition, among other things. This book was gathered from Julie’s blog, as she attempts to live one year–365 days–cooking through the legendary Julia Child and her cookbook.

First of all, I have to admit this novel has a lot of charm. It is honest, and can actually pass as well-written. However, I do have to say that I did not know if I wanted to root for Julia or simply toss this book of hers to my “did not finish, never to be picked up again” pile. But I knew that if I did that, I wouldn’t be able to write a fair review. So I finished it.

The premise is interesting enough, and as I said, the author can write well. But throughout the book, I found her to be a little too self-indulgent, even for a memoir. There was not much humor, not much wit, not much thought. In truth, after reading this, I found myself to be a little bit depressed. Her “opinions” about her family, friends, politics, 9/11, Republicans, I found, were actually a bit offensive. I understand that this is a memoir, coming from a blunt blog, but please, there is no need to be this rude.

On a positive note, I wish I have just passed this one up and just watch the movie, mainly because of Meryl Streep and Amy Adams. And on the other hand, I wish I had just read more about Julia Child and her husband instead of Julie Powell.

Spare yourself, try not read it. You really don’t have to.

No comments:

Post a Comment