The Book Thief

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Synopsis: Narrated by Death, set in the late 1930s in Germany under Hitler’s rule, this is a story of a young girl, Liesel Meminger, an illiterate, who finds solace in stealing books and discovers wonders in words. Soon enough, she learns to read more and more. But these are dangerous times for Liesel and her foster family, especially when they hide a Jew in their basement. Everything is unexpected and everyone is fearful. As Liesel becomes a full-pledged book thief, during these times, “her world is both opened up and closed down.”

Review: Prior to reading this, I have already heard a lot of great things about this book from different sources; reviews, bookstores, blogs, friends, etc. I must say, it definitely lived up to its hype, and exceeded expectations.

This was just such a wonderfully written novel from a very skilled author, who I think, crafted just one of the most unforgettable stories I’ve read in a while. I have read several stories centered during the Holocaust, but this is my favorite, without a doubt.

As heartbreaking as this book generally was, I don't think it would have had the same impact that it had if it was done differently. The message that came along with it, was subtle but strong. It was heart wrenching, but also strangely uplifting at the same time. It made me not only think, but really feel and empathize with these characters I've grown to love and feel attached to. Even after I read the entire thing, and off reading another novel, I would find myself still thinking about the characters and their stories. And it's not that often that we get to find characters like that in books, most especially in fiction, that leave marks or imprints like that in our heads.

The Book Thief is just everything a good book should be; original, engaging, inspiring, uplifting, and haunting all at the same time. With wonderful writing, unique narratives, memorable quotes, and the most lovable and unforgettable characters, one thing's for sure, this book is nothing less than amazing. I loved it, and I think that you will love it too.

1 comment:

  1. I have to thank you again for recommending this to me a couple of months ago, it's also one of my favorites now! I also really like your review. I agree with everything =)

    ReplyDelete