The Book of Lost Things

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Genre: Fantasy/Fiction
Synopsis: High in his attic bedroom, twelve-year-old David mourns the death of his mother, with only the books on his shelf for company. But those books have begun to whisper to him in the darkness. Angry and alone, he takes refuge in his imagination and soon finds that reality and fantasy have begun to meld. While his family falls apart around him, David is violently propelled into a world that is a strange reflection of his own -- populated by heroes and monsters and ruled by a faded king who keeps his secrets in a mysterious book, The Book of Lost Things.

Review: Think fairy tale. But a really, really dark one. That is what this book is all about. Although this has been called "good for children," I do not it's written for them, at all. It's way too dark and disturbing to be read by anyone younger than 13, in my own personal opinion.

It’s no Alice in Wonderland. It’s more similar to the movie, Pan’s Labyrinth, but a lot more descriptive. It is very haunting, and in every single chapter that I finish, I'm left with an uncomfortable feeling. However, I couldn't help it. I knew I had to keep reading. I couldn't put it down; I jsut wanted to know every single thing about the story.

If you like dark fairy tale re-tellings, I highly recommend it. Definitely well worth your time!

No comments:

Post a Comment